More than 14 million children and adults attend a summer camp in the United States every year.
Furthermore, American summer camps employ more than 1.5 million employees in a number of different positions, with many of these positions being filled by overseas applicants.
If you are considering getting a job in a U.S summer camp, it can be helpful to know exactly what is involved in the application process, plus what you can expect to be doing if your application is successful.
Within the below blog, you will find out:
- What type of summer camps are available?
- How does the summer camp program work?
- How to apply for a summer camp job?
- What specific jobs are available?
- Why work at a summer camp in the United States?
What type of summer camps are available?
There are many different types of summer camps in the United States, including:
- Private camps. These are independently owned and typically sports-related.
- Religious camps. These camps are affiliated with a specific faith group.
- Not-for-profit camps. Offering more basic facilities, these camps rely on donations.
- Girl Scout camps. These camps for girls are focused on outdoor activities.
- Special needs camps. Camps that are specifically for children with special needs, such as learning difficulties.
How does the summer camp program work?
Most summer camps in the United States offer either a non-flight or flight-inclusive program, depending on whether you want to organize your own flights or have this task carried out for you.
Although each program will vary, typically, a flight-inclusive program will include:
- Your flights to the United States
- Help with finding a camp placement
- Your food and accommodation
- Medical insurance
You will also have to arrange the following:
- A working visa. If you are worried about this element, you should know a j1 visa application is not complex, and your chosen summer camp should be able to help you with this if needed.
- A police background check
- A medical examination
- Travel insurance
How to apply for a summer camp job?
Although the application process will vary depending on which summer camp in the U.S. you want to work with, there are elements that are consistent across the board. These include:
- Register your details online with your preferred summer camp
- Choose a non-flight or flight-inclusive program
- Pay a small deposit ahead of your interview
- Once you have secured a camp placement, pay the outstanding balance
- Attend the program orientation day
What are specific jobs available at summer camps in the U.S?
Typically, there are two main jobs that you can apply for a U.S summer camp:
- Activity instructor. Responsible for a particular sport or hobby such as swimming, tennis, or arts and crafts.
- Camp counselor/cabin leader. A more general role that involves keeping campers happy throughout the day and night.
Why work for a U.S summer camp?
There are so many benefits to working in a summer camp in the United States, such as making new friends from all over the world, earning a good wage, learning new skills for your CV, and exploring America on a budget.
Some of the key skills that you will learn include: