So you love makeup. And you love applying it. But you have to wonder, dos makeup age your skin? What is the effect of constant makeup on your skin?
Makeup is marketed as something that will make you look your very best. Different brands market their products using the best ingredients. But all of that can be a bit overwhelming.
Today, we will talk about several questions related to makeup. But the big one is does makeup age your skin?
What Are The Effects Of Makeup On Your Skin?
Makeup can have many positive effects on your skin. But it can also have negative effects on your skin. Without a proper skin care regimen, and using makeup products with harmful ingredients, you risk the health of your skin.
A lot of people forge bad makeup habits that can speed up the process of aging skin. But if you have a detailed skin care regimen, you can make a difference. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Remove makeup and wash your face every day
- When cleaning your skin, do not scrub it, instead, use a gentle circular motion
- Use lukewarm water for rinsing your face
- Check the type of cleanser you use and avoid abrasive chemicals
When it comes to makeup, we have to note that it is easy for bacteria to hide in a makeup brush, sponge, and similar items you put on the face. Applying makeup with a clean makeup brush will help you prevent pollutants and bacteria from clogging your skin pores and irritating the skin.
Does Makeup Age Your Skin?
This might not be the right question to ask. The better question is can makeup age your skin? Now, the answer to that question is yes, but not always.
We often say a woman has aged gracefully. Usually, that is for women in Hollywood. The way you live and the products you use have a major impact on your skin complexion. Then, you have to consider factors like UV rays and chemicals.
Many people use a makeup product because they believe it makes them look younger. But it is important to consider what is in the makeup product you use.
Above and beyond makeup products, everything comes down to sunscreen and SPF products. These are critical to protecting your skin and maintaining a youthful appearance.
Makeup is not the biggest enemy of your skin. The sun is. In fact, the sun can be quite damaging to your skin. Therefore, it is essential that you use sunscreen on your face always.
Many companies nowadays have SPF in their makeup products to make sure your delicate skin is protected.
So, does makeup make your skin look older? Well, the answer is no. For many years, skin aging was linked to wearing makeup. That topic has become a myth nowadays.
Dermatologists say there is no link between makeup and skin aging. At least, not in the simplest way. The more complicated answer is that it depends on your proper skincare routine.
Remember, our skin is very sensitive. A good skin care treatment and routine are essential for our skin to remain healthy over the years. And you also have to consider your skin type. Do you have oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin?
What Does Cause Skin Damage?
As we said before, if you use makeup products correctly, it doesn’t age your skin. But what causes excessive skin damage? Well, there are other things and factors. Here are some.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight
- Poor diet, one low in essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
- Poor sleep
- Regular smoking
- Consuming alcohol in excess
- Exposure to pollution
As you can see, makeup has very little to do with some of the biggest factors when you consider skin damage and skin aging.
Makeup Ingredients You Need To Avoid
While we say makeup doesn’t age your skin if used properly, we haven’t explained that proper usage, right? What does it mean to use makeup products properly?
Well, it means you need to avoid certain ingredients. These chemicals and harsh ingredients can be harmful to your skin.
Remember, cosmetics do not go through the rigorous testing by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act as drugs do. Companies find a way to get approval from the FDA, despite using some chemicals and fragrances in their products.
With that in mind, here are some ingredients you want to avoid. Read the label so that you know the products you use are safe.
- Coal tar dyes
- Fragrance ingredients
- Sodium Laureth sulfate
- Petroleum jelly or petrolatum
- Butylated hydroxyanisole BHA or butylated hydroxytoluene BHT
- Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives
How To Protect Your Skin From Premature Aging?
Here, we will talk more about the proper skincare routine. But also, about some other stuff, you can do to prevent your skin aging and protect it.
- When you want to wear makeup, choose a foundation that is good for the skin and has SPF in it
- Get enough sleep to prevent wrinkles. There is a reason why we call it beauty sleep. Without sleep, your body is stressed and it affects your appearance
- Stay away from too much sun exposure
- Quit smoking, it is detrimental to the skin. Smoking causes wrinkles and changes your complexion
- If you want to get a tan, use self-tanner. Sunscreen will provide protection, but staying long hours on the skin will affect your skin
- Clean your skin by washing your face two times per day and always after a workout
- Use gentle cleansers for your skin and take time to avoid scrubbing your face
- Use moisturizer under foundation to maintain your skin hydrated and youthful
- Cut down on alcohol, as it dehydrates your skin
- Stay away from products that burn, if you feel something is burning your skin or peeling, stop using it
- Take Vitamin C, an essential vitamin that will boost collagen production and improve skin elasticity
- Consume a healthy and balanced diet, high in fruits and vegetables
- Drink enough water to keep your skin hydrated and healthy
- Invest in high-quality makeup products
Can I Wear Makeup Every Day?
Some women apply makeup only for a special occasion. Others apply it every day. Now, you might be wondering if makeup is safe for daily use.
The answer is simple. If you have a proper skincare routine, one that includes only moisturizer, concealer, foundation, some mascara, and SPF protection factor, you can use makeup every day.
Yet, if you apply heavy makeup, and you do not remove it properly, it can lead to acne breakouts and eventually mature skin.
How To Build An Anti-aging Routine?
We said it before. Good habits have a positive impact on your skin. To keep your skin healthy, youthful, and beautiful, you need an anti-aging routine that maintains your skin while you sleep.
That means using products that contain anti-aging ingredients like tretinoin, retinoids, caffeine, and hyaluronic acid. Then, find products with exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid and azelaic acid.
When used regularly, anti-aging products can reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles. But be sure to follow the instructions on the label and use the products properly.